RF-Dev | RF Online Development
Sign in to follow this  
Ron

Developer Launcher - Binary & Source Code

Update 5/3/2018

I've compiled a launcher that is ready to go for local testing use. This launcher will allow you to easily bypass the update emulator required by the official game launcher. This launcher connects to 127.0.0.1 only. Compile from source to use a different IP.

Copy RFLauncher.exe to your client, enter your account information, then click Start Game.

RFLauncher Binary Download:

You must be a registered member of RF-Dev and logged in to view this content.

Original Post 9/11/2017

This is a developer friendly launcher designed for 2.2.3. Using this launcher, you can avoid having to set up the legacy update emulators to make the default RF launcher work properly... which is known to be quite a tedious and insecure process.

You will be happy to know that this is a full source code release, not just a binary release. I am freely releasing the source as this was a minimal effort project, and I think this is a big step in helping people learn how to make your own game launchers. I left the application very "whitelabel" so you can easily adapt this for your own purposes.

That being said, you will need to know some programming and have experience with Visual Studio to utilize these files. The project was developed in Visual Studio 2017 Community using C# .NET.

I hope the community finds this release useful. Remember to press thanks/like to show support for future projects.

Download

Configuration Information

Reference RF.cs for information on how this all works. Search for the following code in RF.cs to adjust server connection settings for remote servers. Default settings are for local environments.

Known Issues

• On the first connection attempted, error code #4 can be thrown. Login appears to work fine afterwards so this was considered a non-issue for the purposes of this launcher. I may re-visit this and fix it at a later time but for now I'm happy with the results.

Screenshots

image.png.7a13bdd82df8e79ca87d76e6c83fdcf4.png

image.png.c4295aeffc62a93f4e6660c6f0a9f161.png

The packet handling logic would need to be adjusted to support this. To figure it out you'll need to research the login server packet structures. The current logic connects to zone #1 (world_0) regardless of server list.

Most people only use one zone so I didn't consider this a priority to code in. Maybe later if I ever re-visit this.

A compiled launcher for local testing on 127.0.0.1 has been added to the main post. This will allow users unfamiliar with source code to easily test their server configurations locally without having to compile from source or set up the update emulator.